The Accademia dei Fisiocritici in Siena (Piazzetta Silvio Gigli, 2) is one of the oldest Italian scientific societies. It was founded in 1691 by physician and botanist Pirro Maria Gabbrielli. Originally housed in the premises of the hospital Santa Maria della Scala and later in a building of the local University, the Academy was transferred to its current location in 1816. From its beginning, the Academy has always been a focus of experimental research and of popularization of science. It hosts an important and ancient Museum of Natural History and the magnificent Sala "Paolo Mascagni".
More informations in the Museum's official website.
- Photos by ti.supmacinu|ihgrob.l#ihgroB acuL (July 2012), courtesy of Francesca Vannozzi and the Accademia dei Fisiocritici.
- Locate the item on this Google Map
- Domenico Barduzzi's bas-relief
- Paolo Mascagni's bust
- Paolo Mascagni's cenotaph
- Paolo Mascagni's portrait
- Pietro Andrea Mattioli's memorial tablet
- Pirro Maria Gabbrielli's portrait
- Sala "Francesco Valenti Serini"
- Sala "Paolo Mascagni"
- F.Vannozzi - G.Manganelli (a cura di), Siena. Museo di Storia Naturale. Accademia dei Fisiocritici, SilvanaEditoriale, Cinisello Balsamo 2011, pp. 135