On the iniziative of the Society for the Study of Malaria, in 1899 Angelo Celli established in a new-concept farm "La Cervelletta", now in the suburbs of Rome (Via della Cervelletta 1) but then in open countryside, the first experimental station for the study, prophylaxis and treatment of malaria.
"In 1901 the experimental field had extended from La Cervelletta to several farms along the road to Rome. La Cervelletta become a model, not only of intensive agriculture, but also of antimalarial hygiene, and over the whole of this territory, until then ravaged by fever, we undertook a vast anti-malarial campaign, which: was extended through the whole low-lying ground of the Arno, and in which we tried all the best methods of fighting malaria, such as the assiduous treatment of recurrent fever, both during the epidemic period and before it, the preventive treatment with the most digestible salts of quinine, and the mechanical protection of houses. In like manner, little by little, since 1900, the work of the society has been extended to other malarial parts of Italy, and at the same time it has continually turned the discoveries of the laboratory to a practical application. Thus, on the model of La Cervelletta eleven similar stations were established in 1900. In 1901 a number of others were opened, ten in all, and in 1902 six others"1.
Now the "Casale della Cervelletta" hosts a little Museum of country traditions2.
- Photos by Luca Borghi ti.supmacinu|ihgrob.l#| (march 2009)
- Locate the item on this Google Map