The Arcispedale del SS.Salvatore a S.Giovanni in Laterano is one of the most ancient hospitals in Rome, still in activity. It was named after the Savior (Salvatore) towards the end of the 14th Century. The monumental buildings still visible date back to 1636, when Pope Urban VIII had the medieval buildings destroyed and the new ones reconstructed1.
The 17th Century main structure of the hospital consisted in a "corsia vecchia"(old ward), facing the Via di San Giovanni in Laterano, a "corsia nuova"(new ward), facing the Piazza di San Giovanni in Laterano, and a "corsia mulierum"(women ward), between the Piazza and the nearby Via Merulana2.
The ancient buildings of the hospital and the modern ones are now collected in the Azienda Ospedaliera Complesso Ospedaliero San Giovanni - Addolorata.
- Photos by Luca Borghi ti.supmacinu|ihgrob.l#| (february 2009)
- Locate the item on this Google Map