This marble memorial tablet (Paulustorgasse, 10) remembers the first group of Daughters of Charity (Barmherzigen Schwestern) of Saint Vincent de Paul who started working in the old General Hospital of Graz, then located in Palais Wildenstein in 1841. There were seven sisters under the leadership of Countess Josefa Maria Leopoldine von Brandis.
The memorial tablet was unveiled in 1992, on the 150th anniversary of the dedication of the Sisters' chapel. The German inscription reads as follows: “ERSTE NIEDERLASSUNG / DER / BARMHERZIGEN SCHWESTERN / VOM HL. VINZENZ VON PAUL / IN GRAZ 1842 – 1924 / DIE EHRWÜRDIGE MUTTER, GRÄFIN JOSEFA / MARIA LEOPOLDINE VON BRANDIS, / ERSTE OBERIN, BEGANN HIER MIT SIEBEN / SCHWESTERN AM 24.4.1841 IHR WIRKEN / IM ALLGEMEINEN KRANKENHAUS / AM PAULUSTOR / GEWIDMET ZUM 150. JAHRESTAG / EINWEIHUNG DER SCHWESTERNKAPELLE, / DEM 19. JULI 1992. / DIE BARMHERZIGEN SCHWESTERN / DER GRAZER PROVINZ”.
- Photos by Luca Borghi ti.supmacinu|ihgrob.l#| (August 2016)
- Locate the item on this Google Map