The incorrupt body of St.Camillus de Lellis was buried near the high altar of the church of St.Mary Magdalen, in Rome (Piazza della Maddalena).
In 1696, when the miracles which were attributed to him were officially approved, his body was placed under the altar itself.
He is called “the Giant of Charity” and even his preparation for death was characteristic of his life. So as long as he could drag himself on, he could not be kept from visiting the hospitals. When he could no longer go out, he still continued to visit the patients in his own house. When even that became impossible, he set himself to writing many letters to the many in the world who had helped him with their alms and to his own brethren, involving it to continue the good work.
The baroque-rococo church of St. Mary Magdalen is nowadays annexed to the General house of the Camillians, the Order founded by St. Camillus in 1591.
The 6th of July 2013 was inaugurated a new monumental urn in order to celebrate the Fourth Centenary of St. Camillus' death. A new monument realized by the contemporary artist Alessandro Romano1 was added to the previous urn, realized by Luigi Valadier and consistent in a precious tabernacle with the reliquary bust.
The new splendid sculpture in bronze contains the famous relics of the body of St. Camillus and his simulacrum.
His skeleton is not in the effigy, but it is housed in a compartment underneath.
The bend cross which characterized the opera is very significant for the mission of Camillians. St. Camillus, patron of the sick and hospital, and his disciples, The Ministers of the Infirm, take upon themselves the suffering of people and make the cross a shield in God’s name.
- Photos and main text by Chiara Innocenzi moc.liamg|izneconni.rhc#| and Licia Maria Celani moc.liamg|inalecmaicil#| (November 2016)
- Locate the item on this Google Map