The Casa dei Bambini (House of Children) was the first school promoted by Maria Montessori in Rome (via dei Marsi, 58). The school - a single large room with a fenced outdoor courtyard reserved for children - opened in 1906 and was inaugurated on January 6, 1907.
It was an opportunity to study the behavior of healthy children and highlight the differences with the disadvantaged.
A copy of the Raphael's picture "Madonna della Seggiola " was chosen by Maria Montessori as a symbol of the children's homes; it is still visible above the blackboard.
In the room, also an original clock no longer functional has been preserved.
Reporter Olga Lodi came to visit the school and commented: "This is a children's home!". The name remained and then spread around the world1.
- Photos by ti.supmacinu|ippilif.aivalf#ippiliF aivalF (November 2011)
- Locate the item on this Google Map