Casa Museu Egas Moniz

The Casa Museu Egas Moniz, also called Casa do Marinheiro, is located in the parish of Avanca (Rua Professor Egas Moniz), municipality of Estarreja, district of Aveiro, Portugal. In this house was born António Egas Moniz.

The building dates back to the 18th century but was completely reconstructed by Egas Moniz in 1915 with a project by the architect Ernesto Korrodi.
As he left no descendants, Egas Moniz created the Regional Museum, later called Casa Museu Egas Moniz, which opened its doors on 14th July 1968. It has been classified as a Public Interest Property since 1997.1

Professor%20Egas%20Moniz%27s%20house%20%281%29.png

This house is located in a strategic position: it is very near to the train station but also to the main road Estrada Nacional 109.

Professor%20Egas%20Moniz%27s%20house%20%282%29.png
Professor%20Egas%20Moniz%27s%20house%20%284%29.png

The house is completely surrounded by greenery. Professor Egas Moniz understood the great potencial of that land and in 1923 founded the first milk powder factory in Avanca, starting the history of Nestlé in Portugal.

Professor%20Egas%20Moniz%27s%20house%20%283%29.png
  • Photos by Antonio Miguel Santos moc.liamg|sotnasleugimoinotna#| (May 2019) and page layout by Annamaria Palese ti.liamtoh|49.eselapairamanna#| (May 2019)


Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License