Chapelle de l'Hotel-Dieu de Montreal

The entrance to the big chapel of the Hotel-Dieu de Montreal can be found in Montreal (Pine Ave West). The chapel was built between 1859 and 1861 by Victor Bourgeau, principal architect of the Montreal diocese at the time. Today, the chapel is the property of the City of Montreal and is part of the Cité des Hospitalières. On its external walls, four memorial plaques can be seen (left to right):


a. the first indicates Jeanne Mance's burial in the chapel;


b. the second is a short story of the Daughters Hospitallers of St. Joseph who founded and runned the hospital for centuries;


c. the third one is a memorial of Jérôme le Royer de la Dauversière and of Marie de la Ferre, co-founders of the Congregation of the Hospitallers of St. Joseph;


d. the fourth and last, near the entrance door, remembers the foundation of the Hotel-Dieu in 1844 by Jeanne Mance and the transfer of Mance's and many other religious of the Congregation's remains to this chapel in 1861.

  • Photos by Luca Borghi ti.supmacinu|ihgrob.l#| (July 2017)

Related items:

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License