On the 24th of June 1859, after the Battle of Solferino, hundreds of injured soldiers were moved into the main church (Piazza Duomo) of Castiglione delle Stiviere, a small town close to Solferino, where the first hospital was set up. In this place, brave citizens, mainly women adn girls, led by Jean Henry Dunant took care of soldiers from both armies, until the militar authorities could take the situation in hand. The church was built on a hill in 1761, in neoclassic style. A memorial tablet remembers those memorable days.
• Photos by Lodovico Pasquali Coluzzi (January 2013)
• Locate the item on this Google Map