The Curie Museum is on the ground floor of the Curie Pavilion, in one of the oldest buildings of the Curie Institute at 11 rue Pierre et Marie Curie, in Paris. This laboratory, erected a few streets away from the “shed” where Pierre and Marie Curie discovered polonium and radium in 1898, was specially built for Marie Curie by the University of Paris and the Institut Pasteur between 1911 and 1914. Here she pursued her work for nigh on twenty years, and here too her daughter and son-in-law Irène Joliot-Curie and Frédéric Joliot-Curie discovered artificial radioactivity, for which they received the Nobel Prize for Chemistry in 1935.
The Curie Museum, the guardian of this institutional heritage, houses Marie Curie’s personal chemistry laboratory and the director's office, which was successively occupied by Marie Curie from 1914 to 1934, by André Debierne until 1946, by Irène Joliot-Curie up to 1956, and lastly by Frédéric Joliot. On the death of Frédéric Joliot in 1958, the directors who succeeded him at the head of the Curie Laboratory wished to preserve unchanged this office. The Museum has a permanent exhibition and a center for historical research1