The first military hospital of the Knights of St John, the Holy Infirmary, was built in 1530 or 1532 in Birgu, on the island of Malta in a building which is now the monastery of Saint Scholastica with the adjoined church of St. Anne1.
As remembered by a marble tablet on a wall: "THIS WAS THE FIRST HOSPITAL OF / THE ORDER IN 1530. THE WOUNDED / WERE TENDED HERE DURING THE / GREAT SIEGE IN 1565, AFTER WHICH / IT BECAME A NUNNERY".
- Photos by Robert and Iryna Diana (August 2010)
- Locate the item on this Google Map