The Gran Anfiteatro (large amphitheater) is a magnificent 19th century lecture hall and anatomical theatre of the old School of Medicine of San Carlos in Madrid, now included in the premises of the Ilustre Colegio Oficial de Médicos de Madrid. The architecture is inspired by the one of the amphitheater of the School of Surgery of Paris designed by Jacques Gondoin in 1769. It is decorated with a huge allegorical fresco in the vault about the history of the art of healing and with many pictures on the side walls, representing various medical sciences and some protagonists of the local School of Medicine and Surgery, such as Antoni de Gimbernat. A large Latin inscription (1834) on the front wall reminds Pedro Castelló Ginestá, surgeon of King Ferdinand VII, who played a decisive role in the foundation of the Medical and Surgical College of Saint Carlos1.
- Photos by Luca Borghi ti.supmacinu|ihgrob.l#| (August 2013), courtesy of the Ilustre Colegio Oficial de Médicos de Madrid
- Locate the item on this Google Map