The Hôpital Notre Dame à la Rose (Hospital Our Lady with the Rose), in Lessines, was founded in 1242 by a noblewoman Alix de Rosoit, according to the will of her late husband. She entrusted its management to a community of Augustine nuns which had been taking care of the sick and the poor for nearly eight centuries, until 1980. Now the ancient buildings, carefully restored, host a rich and beautifully displayed on-site Museum, with art objects, medical, pharmaceutical and nursing memories, as well as two reconstructions of the ancient wards1.
More informations on the Hospital-Museum official website.
- Photos by Luca Borghi ti.supmacinu|ihgrob.l# | (August 2009), courtesy of Raphaël Debruyn and Marc Vuidar.
- Locate the item on this Google Map
- 17th Century ward
- 19th Century ward, or "salle hygiéniste"
- Dupuy de Frenelle anaesthesia apparatus
- R.Debruyn (ed.), Hôpital Notre-Dame à la Rose: de l'hôpital séculaire au musée du 3ème millénaire, Hôpital Notre-Dame à la Rose, Lessines 2008, pp. 205.
- Various Authors, L'architecture hospitalière en Belgique, Ministère de la Communauté Flamande, Service des Monuments et des Sites, Brussels 2005, pp. 186-191.