The Hôpital Saint-Louis in Paris (old entrance from 2 Place du Docteur Alfred Fournier) was initially, at the beginning of 16th century, just a branch of the Hôtel-Dieu de Paris during plague epidemics, when the number of beds in the main Paris' hospital proved to be totally inadequate. In 1772, after the devastating fire of the Hôtel-Dieu, Saint-Louis became a permanent hospital increasingly dedicated to dermatology and venereal diseases, especially through the work of Jean-Louis-Marc Alibert1, who worked in the hospital since 1801 and founded one of the first school of dermatology in the world.
The ancient part of the hospital is characterized by a large quadrilateral building enclosing a beautiful garden. It is now classified as a historical and protected building and is mainly dedicated to administrative functions. Since 1981 a new hospital has been built just behind the old one.
The historical entrance
The Quadrilatère (quadrilateral building) with the garden
The Bains or building for hydrotherapy
Explanatory panels about the history and the architecture of the Hospital
The new hospital
- Photos by Luca Borghi ti.supmacinu|ihgrob.l#| (July 2014)
- Locate the item on this Google Map
- P.Faure, "L'histoire de l'hôpital Saint-Louis à travers l'histoire de ses bâtiments", in Revue d'histoire de la pharmacie, 87e année, N. 324, 1999, pp. 443-448
- H.Gougerot-L.Brodier, L'Hôpital Saint-Louis et la Clinique d'Alfred Fournier, Peyronnet & C., Paris 1932, pp. 142
- R.Saboraud, Les vieux hôpitaux français: l'Hôpital Saint-Louis, Laboratoires Ciba, Lyon 1937, pp. 44