The Hopitaux de la Byloke in Ghent (Godshuizenlaan, 2) is a big hospital complex dating back to 13th Century, when a first hospital ward (still existing) was built near a Cistercian Abbey. Many hospital buildings have been added since, in different periods and styles, as the big pavillion hospital promoted by the Chief Physician of that time Josef Kluysken (1771-1843) and built at last from 1863 to 1878, by architect Adolphe Pauli (1820-1895).
Nowadays (august 2009) the remnant buildings are undergoing restoration or already used for different academic and civil purposes.
- Photos by Luca Borghi ti.supmacinu|ihgrob.l# | (August 2009)
- Locate the item on this Google Map
- Various Authors, L'architecture hospitalière en Belgique, Ministère de la Communauté Flamande, Service des Monuments et des Sites, Brussels 2005, pp. 152-155.