“Carlo Forlanini Hospital” is located in Rome (Piazza Carlo Forlanini 1) and it is part of the Hospital San Camillo – Forlanini. It is dedicated to the Italian physician Carlo Forlanini, who devised an artificial pneumothorax for therapeutic treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis. It was built during the fascist regime of Mussolini and it was inaugurated on December 10, 1934. The Hospital was used as a sanatorium, specifically opened for all those who suffered from tuberculosis. The building is in the middle of a 280,000 sq.m park because, before the discovery of anti-TB drugs with bactericidal and bacteriostatic activity, TB was treated with the rest in a hygienic and well ventilated place.12
Istituto Carlo Forlanini (January 1931- November 1934)
The latin inscriptions read as follows:
" NUNC VITA ET FRUGES "
" SOLE MARIQVE/ NOVA GENS "
" NON AMPLIVUS NEGLECTA/ MATER LAETATVR ET INFANS "
" MORTIFERA OLIM/ SOLITVDO"
The location of the building allowed patients to benefit from breathing fresh air
and from staying in dry and ventilated rooms
In order to contain the costs of health care, the company hospital S. Camillo-Forlanini decided to close the hospital Forlanini
within December 31, 2008 and to transfer its assets and services to the S. Camillo.
Now it has only two departments opened: thoracic surgery and ophthalmology, with one hundred beds left.
The rest of the hospital premises, maintenance-free, showed structural failure.3
- Photos by Martina Sapienza (January 2013)
- Locate the item on this Google Map
- Giovanni L'Eltore (a cura di), L'Istituto "Carlo Forlanini", Federazione Italiana per la lotta contro la Tubercolosi//, Roma 1950, pp. 78