As stated in the small tablet on the facade, "Sir James Young Simpson lived in this house from 1845 to 1870, and in 1847 discovered the anaesthetic power of chloroform". The house is located in Edinburgh (No. 52 Queen Street) and now hosts "a drugs rehabilitation and AIDS counselling service, run by the Church of Scotland Board of Social Responsibility, the house includes an exhibition on Simpson's life and work in a room restored to its condition when he was resident. The house was built around 1786".1.
- Photos by Marta Bertolaso (July 2009)
- Locate the item on this Google Map