As can be read in the inscriptions, a first monument was erected on his grave "BY HIS PROFESSIONAL BRETHREN AND FRIENDS" in unknown year "IN REMEMBRANCE OF HIS GREAT LABOURS IN SCIENCE AND OF THE EXCELLENCE OF HIS PRIVATE LIFE AND CHARACTER". The monument was then restored a first time in 1895 and the inscription in 1938.
Unfortunately "THE ORIGINAL MEMORIAL TO JOHN SNOW WAS DESTROYED BY ENEMY ACTION IN APRIL 1941. THIS REPLICA WAS ERECTED BY THE ASSOCIATION OF ANAESTHETISTS OF GREAT BRITAIN AND IRELAND IN SEPTEMBER 1951".
- Photos by Luca Borghi ti.supmacinu|ihgrob.l#| (August 2011)
- Locate the item on this Google Map
- The Friends of Brompton Cemetery, Brompton Cemetery. An illustrated Guide, The Royal Parks, London 2002, p. 17