The original building of the Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health in Baltimore (615 N. Wolfe Street) - now The Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health - was inaugurated in 1925.
"In 1916 the General Education Board of the Rockefeller Foundation decided on the Johns Hopkins University as the site for an institute of health and hygiene. Thus the dream of William H. Welch for a separate hygiene institute for Hopkins became a reality.
Welch had long stressed the importance of hygiene and preventive medicine in the education of a physician. In 1915 along with Wickliffe Rose who had organized hookworm campaigns in the southern United States, Welch prepared a report for the Rockefeller Foundation recommending the creation of a public health school at a university with a medical school of high standard. The Rockefeller Foundation decided that Hopkins would be the place and appropriated $267,000. In October 1918, with Welch as the director, the Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health opened its doors to its first students. In its early years the Rockefeller Foundation supported the School with annual grants and in 1922 the Foundation awarded an endowment fund of $6 million. In 1925 the School opened its own building.
As he had been with the Medical School some years before, Welch was the driving force at Hygiene in its formative years. He assembled an excellent faculty which instructed students in preventive medicine, sanitation, epidemiology, bacteriology, immunology and nutrition. Since the early 1920's the School has continued to grow with a multidisciplinary faculty advancing knowledge through research and training students for careers in public health"1.
- Photos by Estefania Etcheves Miciolino ti.supmacla|iloicimsevehcte.e#| (August 2012)
- Locate the item on this Google Map