The Juliusspital is one of the most notable hospital in Wurzburg (Juliuspromenade 19) and part of the Stiftung Juliusspital foundation that includes the hospital, a well-known winery and a retirement home.
In 1576 Julius Echter von Mespelbrunn, the prince-bishop of Wurzburg, promoted the building of a hospital on the ground of a Jewish cemetery. In origin it was a place to host pilgrims, epileptics and orphans.
Along with the University of Wurzburg, that was renovated and reopened in 1582, the Juliusspital was a Charitable Institution. In a period in which the religious divisions started to solidify, the catholic Sir. Echter decided to promote the building of these establishments to reflect the deep commitment to the revival of the Catholicism.
Above the main entrance of the hospital, there is a sandstone iscription that clarifies that the institution was to serve "the poor and the frail, the old, the sick and the abandoned".
In 1597, Julius Echter decided to provide the hospital with a garden of healing herbs. Nowadays the garden and the yard are still part of the hospital. These open spaces are mainly used by patients.
After a fire in 1699, the original structure was damaged and it was rebuilt by the architects Antonio Petrini and Johann Philipp Geigel. They designed a stately north wing known as the Princely Quarters (Fürstenbau).
In 1776, as Karl Kaspar von Siebold became the head physician of the Juliusspital, a renovation of the entire institution started. He introduced new surgical techniques and established new sanitary rules.
In 1705 the architect Joseph Greising designed and built the Gartenpavillon. This structure was initially used as the summer residence of prince-bishops; then, in 1726, it became the Theatrum Anatomicum and lecture hall for anatomy classes. From the 19th century it has been used as a conference room.
Nowadays the Juliusspital is still functional and it is still administrated as a charitable institution. It conserves the external antique architecture, the beautiful garden and it has been renovated inside.
- Photos and main text by Giuliana Failla moc.liamg|01alliaf.anailuig#| and Alessandra Iacono moc.liamg|onocai.sardnassela#| (January 2017)
- Locate the item on this [ Google Map]