Kitasato Institute

"Kitasato Institute" was opened by bacteriologist Shibasaburo Kitasato and its staff, in December 1914, as a new private research institution, after Japanese government had decided that jurisdiction over the public "Institute for Infectious Diseases"(IID), directed by Kitasato from it very beginning in 1892, should be transferred from the Home Ministry to the Education Ministry. In disagreement with this decision, Kitasato decided to resign together with almost the entire staff of the IID, who chose to follow him in the adventure of the new private Institute1.

Kitasato Institute is now a part of the Kitasato University, but the original 1915 building has been brought and rebuilt in the Meijimura Museum, "an open-air museum for preserving and exhibiting Japanese architecture of the Meiji period (1868-1912)".



Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License