This was the site of the Ospedalino (little hospital), the first pediatric hospital in Bologna (via Nazario Sauro, 38). The hospital, whose real name was Spedale Maria Santissima Addolorata, was founded in 1873 and started its healthcare activities for sick girls in 1880. For a while, from 1900 to 1903, the Ospedalino hosted the pediatric clinic of the local University, under the direction of Dante Cervesato (afterwards the university clinic was located in the Ospedale Gozzadini). The original bulding of the Ospedalino was destroyed during a bombing on the 25th of September 1943 and a new building was reconstructed on the same site only in 1953, designed by Giuseppe Boriani. Now the building, no longer a hospital, hosts a number of social activities.
The extant building of the Ospedalino
A bas-relief of the Holy Virgin with two angels recovered from the rubble of the old building and replaced on the door of via Nazario Sauro 38
- Photos by Luca Borghi ti.supmacinu|ihgrob.l#| (June 2009)
- Locate the item on this Google Map
- Stefano Arieti (a cura di), L'Ospedalino. Il primo ospedale pediatrico di Bologna, Pendragon, Bologna 2007, pp. 147.