Langenbeck-Virchow-Haus in Berlin (Luisenstraße 58/59) was built in 1915 through the joint efforts of two medical associations: the Berliner Medizinische Gesellschaft (Berlin Medical Society) and the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Chirurgie (German Association for Surgery), with the aim of "promoting scientific endeavors in the whole field of medicine, to maintain a collegial relationship among its members and to preserve the medical interests of the general public"1.


The building is named after Bernhard von Langenbeck (renowned as the developer of an amputation procedure and the founder of Langenbeck’s Archives of Surgery) and Rudolf Virchow, founder of the cellular interpretation of pathologies and long-standing chairman of the Berlin Medical Society.


For almost thirty years the two Societies held their meetings in this building but, after WW2, Langenbeck-Virchow-Haus was requisited and transformed into the "People's Chamber" of the German Democratic Republic. Only in 2005 the carefully restored building was returned to the original owners and it is currently used as a congress center.

  • Photos by Luca Ambrosio ti.liamtoh|1220rm#| (April 2017)

Related items:

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License