In the fourth year of the Napoleonic Kingdom of Italy (1809?), a stone tablet was dedicated to the memory of Lazzaro Spallanzani, dead in Pavia ten years before in 1799. The latin inscription was: "LAZARO SPALLANZANI / ATHENAEI TICINENSIS / ORNAMENTO / HIST. NAT. DOCTRINA PLINIUM / ELOQUENTIA TULLIUM / OMNIGENAQ. ERUDITIONE VARRONEM / ADSEQUUTO / PETRUS MOSCATI / REI LITTERARIAE PRAESES / COLLEAGAE AETERNUM MEMORANDO / P. / ANNO REGNI ITAL. IV".
In recent years (1955) the ruined monument was embellished with a new marble frame and a new bronze laurel wreath, with an italian inscription reading as follows: "IL MODESTISSIMO RICORDO POSTO DAI CONTEMPORANEI / ALLA MEMORIA DEL GRANDISSIMO NATURALISTA / FU INSERITO IN QUSTO MARMO E L'ORMAI CORROSO / SERTO DI FERRO SOSTITUITO CON UNA CORONA DI BRONZO / MA LA FAMA DI LAZZARO SPALLANZANI DURERA' AERE PERENNIOR / NOVEMBRE MDCCCCLV".
The memorial tablet can be seen on a wall of the ground floor of the Cortile dei caudit in the University of Pavia central seat (Strada Nuova).
- Photo by Luca Borghi ti.supmacinu|ihgrob.l# | (March 2008)
- Locate the item on this Google Map
- More info at "Pellegrini del sapere" website