Lennoxvale House and Grounds

This house was originally built in 1876 by John Ward and acquired by Sir William Whitla in 1906. He used it as his residence until his death in 1933 when he bequeathed this house to Queen’s University of Belfast as a residence for the Vice-Chancellor.

William%20Whitla%20-%20Belfast%20-%2020.JPG

In the extensive and beautiful gardens there is a summer house to which Whitla retired in search of a quiet place to study. The
grounds contain also two lakes at which were originally the Strand Mill dam and that were part of the municipal water supply to Belfast.
The lakes are still present but little used.


  • Photos and main text by Ludovico Carbone moc.liamg|1enobracocivodul#| Nicoletta Ventrella moc.liamg|attelocin.allertnev#| (August 2017).
  • Locate the item on this [ Google Map]

Bibliography

  • Richard Froggatt, http://www.newulsterbiography.co.uk
  • R. G. Shanks, The legacies of Sir William Whitla. The Ulster Medical Journal, Volume 63, No. 1, pp. 52 - 75, April 1994


Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License