This inhalator, made of glass with leather valves and brass fittings (1846), can be found in [[Paul S. Russell, MD Museum of Medical History and Innovation]]], Boston. It's believed to be one of the ether inhalers Dr. William T.G. Morton had fabricated, this may be the actual device employed at MGH for the first surgical procedure using ether as an anesthetic agent on October, 16th, 1846.
Photo by Luca Ambrosio (August 2016), main text by Laura Ferro and Filippo Cucinella (January 2017)
Locate this item on: google map