Moscati Family's presence in Serino is documented from 1500 onwards. In 1529, Palmiero Moscati, a Giuseppe Moscati's ancestor, built in the hamlet of Fontanelle (site in Serino) a building not without architectural decoration. In 1590, another Giuseppe Moscati's forefather, Fabio, built a new building (site in Via Tommaso Marranzini, 10) that still flaunts on the ancient portal the coat of arms in stone. The place, since the seventeenth century, is usually indicated as "Moscati district".
Francesco Moscati, Giuseppe Moscati's father, was born in S. Lucia of Serino in 1836. He was a brilliant magistrate in Cassino, Benevento, Ancona and Naples. Every year he led his family on holiday to S. Lucia of Serino, in his noble mansion.
The mansion is a square building, with main entrance and the courtyard. It leads to the upper floor by a staircase, that leads first to a landing on which dominates the baronial coat of arms of Moscati family, and then in a waiting room. From the various rooms of the palace, Giuseppe Moscati always occupied one of the smallest, overlooking the first balcony of the facade. On the facade of the building is to be found a memorial stone.
On the ground floor, there is a small chapel, with access from inside and outside of the building. It is dedicated to Our Lady of Carmine. In this chapel, "Peppino" Moscati many times has served the Mass celebrated by his father's cousin, Don Carmelo.
Giuseppe Moscati's memorial stone
Entrance to Our Lady of Carmine's chapel
Moscati Family's coat of arms in stone
Moscati Family's coat of arms depicted
Courtyard of Moscati Family's noble mansion
Small altar to Giuseppe Moscati
- Photos by Elisabetta Lepre (November 2012).
- Locate the item on this Google Map
- A. Lepore, San Giuseppe Moscati e l'affetto per la Valle di Serino, Atripalda (AV) 2010