Museo per la Storia dell'Università di Pavia

The Museum for the History of the University of Pavia can be seen in the central building of the University (Strada Nuova, 65). It hosts a impressive collection of historical items, mainly related to Medicine and Physics. The collection dates back to 1932 when many items related to anatomist Antonio Scarpa were permanently displayed after a temporary exhibition for the centennial of his death. Shortly after that, many objects from the laboratory of Alessandro Volta were added to the initial collection. Over the years, the museum was enriched with other objects, among them many memorabilia of Nobel Prize winner Camillo Golgi.

More informations on the Museum's official website (in Italian).


The entrance hall


Photograpic portraits of some prominent teachers of the medical school


The history of medicine rooms


The history of physics room

  • Photos by Luca Borghi ti.supmacinu|ihgrob.l#| (March 2013), courtesy of Prof. Paolo Mazzarello, Director of the Museum for the History of the University of Pavia

Related items:


- A.Pensa, Visita al Museo della Storia dell'Università di Pavia, Alfieri & Lacroix, Milano 1961, pp. 42.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License