Just in front of the entrance door of the building which was the 19th century seat of the scientific laboratories of the University of Turin and now hosts the Accademia di Medicina di Torino in Turin (via Po, 18), we can see this tablet remembering the invention of nitroglycerin. It was the first practical explosive stronger than black powder and was synthesized for the first time in this building in 1847 by chemist Ascanio Sobrero.
The Italian inscription reads as follows: "NELL'ANTICO LABORATORIO CHIMICO / DI QUESTO EDIFICIO / ASCANIO SOBRERO / 1812 - 1888 / SCIENZIATO INSIGNE / REALIZZANDO PER PRIMO LA SINTESI DELLA / NITROGLICERINA / APRI' LA VIA ALLE SUE MOLTEPLICI APPLICAZIONI / —- / AUSPICE IL "CENTRO STUDI ASCANIO SOBRERO" / DI CAVALLERMAGGIORE / LA CITTA' DI TORINO".
- Photo by Luca Borghi ti.supmacinu|ihgrob.l#| (June 2010)
- Locate the item on this Google Map