The ancient "Institut de Physiologie" of the "Université Libre de Bruxelles" in the Leopold Parc of Brussels was completed in 18951 under the sponsorship of the industralist Ernest Solvay and the physician Paul Héger who was its first director2. On the rich facades of the magnificent building (now - august 2009 - under restoration) the names of some famous physiologists and scientists of the 19th Century are remembered: JEAN STAS, JOULE, PLATEAU, FARADAY, JEAN MULLER, CARL LUDWIG, MATTEUCCI and R. MAYER.
Many of the famous Solvay Conferences (Conseils Solvay) for Physics and Chemistry took place in this building and in front of it, on the entrance staircase, was taken the famous picture of the "Seventeen Noble Prizes", on the occasion of the 1927 Solvay Conference for Physics on "Electrons et photons": among them, Marie Curie.
- Photos by Luca Borghiti.supmacinu|ihgrob.l# | (August 2009)
- Locate the item on this Google Map