The first and ancient structure of the Hospital "Sacro Cuore di Gesù" in Gallipoli (Lungomare Marconi, 1) was built in 1924.
The socio-economic and health context (from the mid-1800s to the early decades of the twentieth century), in which the Hospital of Gallipoli was born, was marked by poverty, poor sanitation, infectious diseases (such as cholera, smallpox, pandemic influence, typhus, hepatitis, polyarthritis, poliomyelitis etc.). The construction began on a land given by the family Pasca as a donation. Initially, in 1933 the hospital was dedicated to Benito Mussolini’s mother, Rosa Maltoni Mussolini, but five years later, in 1938, a reference to Dr. Salvatore Starace – who contributed to the birth and the development of the hospital – was added. Since the opening, the number of beds available in the hospital increased from 70 to over 200 in only few years. After the fall of fascism, the name of the Hospital was changed into Hospital “Consortium” until 1948, when it was changed again into “Sacro Cuore di Gesù”.
The Hospital in the 50s
Hospital before it was built the first floor
Sun terrace on the sea
Extract from the register of deliberations:
Considering the founder of the Hospital the Doctor Salvatore Starace died on 30-12-1937, it was retained necessary to approve a new text of the Statute and to add to the title Hospital "Rosa Maltoni Mussolini," the term -SALVATORE STARACE founder-.
RESTORED OLD HOSPITAL:
These two pictures represent the remains of the old hospital; today only the restored part (north wing) is used and it contains Medical Surgeries, a Mental Health Center, Medical Guard, Hygiene Office and First Aid.
The old Department of Infectious Diseases, currently Department of Hygiene
The old entrance of the Medical Department, currently Center of Psychiatric Rehabilitation
The old entrance of Health Department
The old storeroom, currently is a Care Center
The old Department of Ophthalmology, currently First Aid
The old Laundry and Ironing rooms
- Photos by Marta Musarò ti.liamtoh|orasumatram#| (November 2013), courtesy of Dr. Simone Salamina in collaboration with Photo Studio Mario Milano (Gallipoli, LE)
- Locate the item on this Google Map
- E.Pindinelli, G.Albahari, 1861-2011, 150 anni di tricolore a Gallipoli, Tipografia Biesse, Nardò 2011, pp. 109-111