The ancient "Santa Margherita" hospital, previously known as "Ospedale Santi Simone e Giuda", is located in the old town centre of Sciacca (Via Incisa). The hospital was part of the so-called "Santa Margherita"'s historical complex, which included the Monte Pietà and the church consecrated to the saint. The ancient hospital was built in 1393 according to the testamentary wish of Catalan Antonio Pardo. Between the 16th and 17th centuries some people left their heritage to this hospital, which had thus a great economic power: Eufemia Perollo, Biaggio De Mauro and doctor Antonio Maringo can be recalled among the 17th century benefactors. Since 1678 the hospital was managed by the Fatebenefratelli friars: on the ground floor there was the hospital, made up of 20 beds, and on the first floor their friary. In 1750 the Fatebenefratelli friars left the town and also the upper floor was used as hospital ward. At the end of the 19th century the hospital, called also "Ospedale della Pietà", perhaps because of the nearby presence of the "Monte Pietà", was managed by the Congregation of Charity. In 1927, after the "Ospedali Civili Riuniti" have been built, the ancient hospital was dismantled. Now it is empty and the ground floor is sometime used for exhibitions.
The old hospital in the past
The old hospital now
The pomegranate represents the coat of arms of the Fatebenefratelli friars.
On the first floor
- Photos by Lucia Lo Scalzo ti.liamtoh|ozlacsolaicul#| (November 2012).
- Locate the item on this Google Map.
- Giuseppe Verde, Hospitalia (Istituzioni, malattie, assistenza nei secoli XII-XIX a Sciacca), Accademia delle Scienze Mediche di Palermo, Palermo 2008.