This operating table from the Evelina Hospital for Children dates back to the beginning of 20th century (c.1905) and is currently displayed in the St. Thomas' Hospital's old Herb Garret. It was made by surgical instrument makers Hallen & Hanburys Ltd. The maker's catalogue lists this table design as originating in 1897. The table height could originally be raised from the current position by a foot lever on the other side (now missing). The patient could be set at an angle using the wheel below. End panels are adjusted by and handle beneath each end for positioning the patient. The two small wheels either side of the table clamped optional leg stirrups1.
- Photo by ti.supmacinu|ihgrob.l#ihgroB acuL (July 2011), courtesy of "The Old Operating Theatre Museum and Herb Garret"'s curator.
- Locate the item on this Google Map