Alessandro Rizza hospital is situated in the highest part of Syracuse (Viale Epipoli, 72) and it was founded in 1932 by Mussolini. The hospital was used as a sanatorium which became an expert centre for tubercolosis. For this reason the structure is characterized by large yards, and was built in a strategic location, near the countryside. Indeed, the clear cold air was believed to heal the sick people who went there to receive the necessary care. The sanatorium was turned into a hospital in 1978 with healthcare reformation number 883, and today it is specialized in the treatment of pulmonary diseases.
- Photos by Chiara Valenti (December 2012)
- Locate the item on this Google Maps