The Vittorio Emanuele II Hospital in Catania (via Plebiscito, 628) is one of the most important hospitals in Sicily. It is located in San Cristoforo, the biggest and most ancient area of the city. The building has an imposing appearance, a rectangular form with an inner courtyard. The entrance from via Plebiscito is through a wide doorway that is decorated with false stone columns that contrast with the basalt plaster. The Hospital was built in 1880 but its history goes back five centuries.
In fact, it was founded in 1361 when the Senate approved its construction next to the Church of San Marco on the west of the current University Square (even if some authors think that it was built earlier1). It was originally named after saint Marc. Later, in 1693, the original hospital was destroyed by an earthquake, and so it was re-located to the palace of doctor Niccolò Tezzano.
Around 1880 the Hospital was moved to its current location, a former convent of Benedictine friars and was renamed “Vittorio Emanuele II Hospital”.
"Vittorio Emanuele II" Hospital - Front Gate
"Vittorio Emanuele II" Hospital - Behind the front gate
The wide shot of the entrance
The monument of Vittorio Emanuele II
Particulars of the statue
The gun balls have recorded the dates of Wars of Italian Independence.
"Vittorio Emanuele II" Hospital - Courtyard
Pediatric Clinic with the bust of an unknown physician
The statue in the courtyard
This bust of Salvatore Tomaselli can be found in the courtyard of the Hospital.
A. Orsini Digiacomo's memorial bust
This bust of A. Orsini Digiacomo can be found in the courtyard of the Hospital. On the stone basament, an Italian inscription reads as follows: " AD/ A. ORSINI DIGIACOMO/ MEDICO CAPO/ L'OSPEDALE".
- Photos by Mariarita Trapani moc.liamg|inapart.atirairam#| (December 2012)
- Locate the item on Google Maps
Inside the hospital you can find:
- Angelo D'Agata's picture
- Antonino Francaviglia's picture
- Giacomo Tamburino's picture
- Giovanni Di Guglielmo's portrait
- Giovanni Maria Rasario's bust
- Giovanni Maria Rasario's picture
- Luigi Condorelli's bust in Catania
- Luigi Condorelli's portrait
- Luigi Ferrannini's portrait
- Mario Gemmellaro's portrait
- Maurizio Ascoli's memorial tablet
- Maurizio Ascoli's portrait
- Raimondo Feletti's portrait
- Salvatore Tomaselli's bust
- Salvatore Tomaselli's picture
- Salvatore Tomaselli's portrait
- G. Dato, La città di Catania. Forma e struttura 1693-1833, Officina Grafica Moderna Impegnoso & Pulvirenti, Roma 1983
- G. Sorge, Lineamenti di storia dell’ospedalità civile catanese, Officina Grafica Moderna Impegnoso & Pulvirenti, Roma 1940