The "Ospedale Grande di San Matteo o della Pietà" (Great Hospital of St Matthew or of the Pity) was founded in 1449 and remained the main healthcare institution in the city of Pavia for almost five centuries, until the inauguration of the new Policlinico San Matteo, in 19321.
The cruciform buildings of the old hospital are now a part of the University of Pavia. Even so, many aspects of the beautiful ancient hospital architecture - with the central dome - can be still admired. The university medical school, connected with the hospital, was very renown especially along the 18th and 19th centuries due to the large number of great teachers, as many medical monuments and memories in the University central seat testify.
- Photos by ti.supmacinu|ihgrob.l#ihgroB acuL (May 2008)
- Locate the item on this Google Map