A few remains of ancient and glorious hospital Pammatone in Genoa have been incorporated in the modern Hall of Justice of the town (Piazza Portoria 1). "Ospedale Pammatone" was founded in 1423 by Bartolomeo Bosco and, up to the beginning of 20th century, it was the main hospital of Genoa. It was of the first civic hospitals in Europe.
At the end of 15th century, the famous noblewoman and saint Caterina Fieschi Adorno served in the hospital for many years, first as a nurse and then as superintendent. Due to the lack of space, the new general hospital of San Martino was built and inaugurated in 1923. During the Second World War the old building of Pammatone was heavily damaged and at present only the old internal colonnades and staircase, with some monuments of hospital patrons, are still visible inside the Hall of Justice.
In the entrance hall of the modern building, two ancients memorial tablets remembers the founder of the hospital, Bartolomeo Bosco, and the debt of gratitude of the institution toward Saint Catherine Fieschi Adorno.
- Photos by Luca Borghi ti.supmacinu|ihgrob.l#| (August 2010)
- Locate the item on this Google Map
- Emilio Lorenzo Sciaccaluga, L'Ospedale di Pammatone di Genova dalle origini a fine secolo XIX (Tesi di laurea), Università degli Studi di Urbino, Anno accademico 1986/87, pp. 238.