"The University of Bologna Hospital Corporation “Policlinico S. Orsola-Malpighi” is the first hospital in Bologna, with more than 400 years of history. Today it is home to the School of Medicine and Surgery and is an internationally acclaimed institution for the study and treatment of various pathologies"1.
In the late 16th century the two medieval monasteries of Sant'Orsola and San Gregorio were transformed in hospital institutions from which the modern complex originated2. Unfortunately, few vestiges remain of the oldest buildings of Sant'Orsola's hospital, while something of the historical part of San Gregorio's hospital is still visible.
- Photos by Luca Borghi ti.supmacinu|ihgrob.l# | (June 2009)
- Locate the item on this Google Map
Related items of historical interest:
- First liver resection memorial tablet
- Pietro Loreta's bas-relief
- Ospedale Gozzadini with
- Giuseppe Ruggi's monument
- Antonio Maria Valsalva's memorial tablet
- R.A.Bernabeo (a cura di), Il Sant'Orsola di Bologna. 1592-1992, Nuova Alfa Editoriale, Bologna 1992, pp. 391.