Purkyně old Institute of Physiology's memorial tablet

This memorial tablet can still be seen on a modern building in the center of Wrocław (ul. Św. Katarzyny 16 / St. Catherine Street No.16). It marks the spot where Jan Evangelista Purkyně established in 1839 the world's first department of Experimental Physiology1.


The Polish inscription means: "Here in 1839-1850 was located the Department of Experimental Physiology, University of Wrocław founded in 1832 by prof. J.E.Purkynie"2.

  • Photo n.1 from Google Street View and n. 2 courtesy of Magdalena Mazurak lp.pw|karuzam-aizdam#| (March 2018)

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License