Until the end of the 2000s, a marble memorial tablet could be found on an exterior wall near the entrance of the Hôpital Necker-Enfants Malades in Paris (149, Rue de Sèvres). The tablet remembered the invention of the stethoscope, made by René Laennec in this hospital in 1816, with this French inscription: "Dans cet hôpital / Laennec / découvrit l'auscultation. / 1781-1826".
The memorial tablet original location
- Photos by Luca Borghi ti.supmacinu|ihgrob.l#| (August 2006)
In the early 2010s, that wall was destroyed to make room for the new building of the Pôle Mère-Enfant Laennec and the tablet was moved inside the Information Office of the hospital, just entered the historic portal of Rue de Sèvres, on the left.
The tablet in its new location
- Photo by Emmanuel Attard (September 2014), courtesy of Florence Lacaille
- Locate the item on this Google Map