"In 1643, a member of the Herbalists' Guild in Bruges was asked to set up a pharmacy in the former monastery of St John's Hospital. The pharmacy was run by a number of sisters, and remained in existence until 1971, complete with its original fixtures and fittings from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. It was then incorporated in the museum"1.
Next to the pharmacy main chamber, another "room with its Baroque, oak furniture used to be the pharmacy's drawing room. However, since two series of governors' portraits were installed here in 1891, it has been referred to as the 'Governors' Chamber"2.
On the door between the two room an expressive picture is hanging: "The Pharmacy at St John's Hospital" by Philippe van Bree.
- Photos by Luca Borghi ti.supmacinu|ihgrob.l# | (August 2009)
- Locate the item on this Google Map