The Université Paris Descartes in Paris (12, rue de l'Ecole de Médecine) is located in the buildings of the 18th Century Académie et Collège de Chirurgie and of the 19th Century Ecole de Santé of the French capital.
It hosts, a part from many medical monuments and memories, a beautiful and rich museum - the Musée d'Histoire de la Médecine - and an extraordinary medical library, the Bibliothèque Interuniversitaire de Médecine (BIUM).
As soon as you enter the building you are in the Grand Hall with a beautiful collection of medical monuments.
Under the honour staircase you can see the impressive marble memorial tablet listing physicians and medical students who died during the First World War.
At the base of the staircase there is also a marble statue of an undressing woman symbol of nature that gradually reveals itself to science.
Another group of medical monuments and paintings can be found on the first floor, at the base and along the staircase leading to the Musée d'Histoire de la Médecine
Finally, near the entrance to the building you can also see the marble tablet remembering the inauguration, in 1900, of the enlarged and restored buildings of gthe medical school.
- Photos by Luca Borghi ti.supmacinu|ihgrob.l#| (July 2014).
- Locate the item on this Google Map
- Bibliothèque Interuniversitaire de Médecine (BIUM)
- Georges Cuvier statue
- Grand Hall with many medical busts (see the Hall's page) and Felix Terrier's statue
- Jean Noël Hallé's bust
- "L'ambulance de la Comédie Française" (1891) by André Brouillet
- Mathieu Orfila's bust
- Musée d'Histoire de la Médecine with many related items (see Museum's page)
- Pierre-Augustin Béclard's bust
- Pierre Jean Georges Cabanis' bust
- Pierre-Joseph Desault's bust
- "René Laennec"(1854) after Dubois
- René Laennec's false portrait
- Sigismond Jaccoud's memorial tablet
- "Transfusion de sang de chèvre" (1892) by Jules Adler
- "Un Leçon Clinique à la Salpêtrière" (1887) by André Brouillet
- Xavier Bichat's monument
- Marie-Véronique Clin, Le Musée d'Histoire de la Médecine de Paris, Université René Descartes, Paris 1994