Villa Maria Sanatorium


The Villa Maria Sanatorium was inaugurated the 8th of June 1933 at Mercato_San_Severino by the Prefect Dr. Domenico Soprano1 and by the Archbishop of Salerno. Moved by the desire of contributing to the campaign against tuberculosis2 in the province of Salerno, the two doctors Messina and Di Lorenzo opened an institution which could house, isolate and cure those tuberculous patients who didn't want or weren't able to move away from their families and their home region.


Frontal images of the Sanatorium3


The two noble spouses Emanuele Imperiali and Maria Adelaide Imperiali-Cursi used their own villa, located in Curteri fraction of Mercato San Severino, as a Sanatorium.

The Sanatorium was composed by the noble palace and four other buildings along with a park of about 60000 square metres.


Changes of the institute in the years 1950, 1966 and 2010


Hospital entrance today

When the institute was opened it could house 50 patients but under the supervision of Dr. Carlo Di Lorenzo the number of beds reached 600.

The hospital was made up of the Orthopedics department, the Maternity ward and the Lung Surgery department with famous medical consultants including professor Vincenzo Monaldi, professor Vittorio De Bonis, whom were phthisiologists, and the surgeon Ettore Ruggieri4.


Advertising of the time that shows all the hospital departments of the Sanatorium.5

The rooms in the villa could contain one, two or multiple beds. There was also an elegant hall where the patients could conversate, as well as a reading chamber. In addition, the villa was equiped with heating, radiators and rooms for personal hygiene. Furthermore, there was a cabinet for radiology and one for chemical and microscopic analysis. The villa was basically transformed into a hospital which provided every diagnostic and curative means.

Male division and female division.6






The Church.9

In 1969 the Villa Maria Institute was acquired by the hospital corporation "San Giovanni di Dio e Ruggi di Aragona" of Salerno, by will of the President Raffaele de Felice. This corporation had file hospitals, four of which in Salerno.

The new hospital offered basic diagnostic services (radiology, a lab for analysis, for anesthesia and for rianimation) and it had wards for all basic medical needs (general medicine, general surgery and gynecology) as well as for more complex needs (cardiology, communicable diseases, urology and hemodialysis).10


Nowadays the Sanatorium of Villa Maria is currently named "Gaetano Fucito Hospital".


A map of the Hospital today.

Departments of the building

  • Internal Medicine
  • General Medicine
  • Nephrology
  • Cardiology
  • Urology
  • Pediatrics
  • Radiology
  • Obstetrics and Gynecology
  • Orthopedics
  • Endoscopy

These vintage photos about Villa Maria Sanatorium have been provided by Dr. Generoso Conforti, Medical Director at Gaetano Fucito Hospital from 1994 to 2018.

  • Photos and main text by Mariagrazia Pezone ti.orebil|enozep-aizargairam#| and Camilla Torre ti.oiligriv|errot.allimac#| (December 2018), courtesy of Dr. Generoso Conforti.


  • Agenzia Servizi Giornalistici di Salerno, from the volume Ecco Salerno - il capoluogo e la Provincia nel loro continuo divenire, Febbraio 1958.
  • Anonymous, "Idea Fascista", Settimanale della Federazione dei Fasci di Combattimento, a.XII, n.29, 3 Giugno 1933, p.4; n.30, 10 Giugno 1933, p.4.
  • Generoso Conforti, Romano Meloro, Irene Zollo, Candido Gallo, "Curteri: tradizione e innovazioni", quarterly periodical of internal communication of the ASL of Salerno Sane Relazioni, Aprile 1999, pp. 4-10.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License